Thread: Ahead of Its Time

Eric Miller Guest

Default Ahead of Its Time

My reflections on one of the most unusual locomotives of the last 30 years, and how it foreshadowed the "wide cabs" that rule the rails today.

Last edited by Bob; 07-20-2007 at 05:19 PM.

I'd like to make a suggestion, Eric....do you have any shots of the cab ride you took? In as much as the essay talks mostly about the odd cab design, when you mentioned you rode one, I immediately wished you had a shot or two included.

The text reads fine to me and I like the "ahead of its time" theme and for that reason, eventhough I'd like to be in that weird cab with you, I vote for apporval.

Martin Burwash

Two23 Guest

Short and sweet. I never knew these existed! Gets a thumbs up from me because I learned something new!

Kent in SD

4. Default

I agree with Martin - a cab shot would really round out this piece. Good to go as is - I approve!

Eric Miller Guest

I distinctly remember having my camera with me on the day that I took the cab ride, but if I made a photo I sure can't find it. After writing this piece, I have wondered and puzzled about why I might not have made a photo from inside the cab. Perhaps it was because the BQ was in the trailing position... Maybe it was because I didn't have a wide angle lens that would allow me to make a shot from such a perspective that you could tell it was inside a BQ.

Then again, maybe I did make a shot and just simply can't locate it.

Thanks for the kind words.

I've edited the post a bit, but only the presentation. I wanted a thumbnail image, so I created one from the pdf, and then linked it to the pdf file. You'll still get the same pdf as before, but now you can see what it looks like before you open it.

Other than the thumbnail, there were no changes and the actual essay is unchanged. Since it has 3 yes votes, (4 if you count me) it's been moved to the public area.
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadPhotoEssays host

Eric Miller Guest

As mentioned on another forum, I should point out that the BQ was only one of many influences on the "wide cab" design that prevails today... There was also the DD40AX on Union Pacific in the late '60's and the Canadian "safety cab" that debuted in the early 1970's.