Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If at first you don't succeed........

1. Post If at first you don't succeed........

My first essay in a looooong time - we have to give Burwash some competition.. This one is about the trials and tribulations of one BNSF crew, a trainmaster, road foreman, and an ailing GP38-2

Preview image
    Attachment 2567
    Last edited by Bob; 03-04-2007 at 04:34 AM.

I really like this essay. It is always interesting when you happen upon some type of railroading event and are able to record the story from start to finish. A good bit of photojournalism.

Maybe it is just my old age and computer, but I actually had to get a magnifying glass to suppliment my reading glasses in order to make out the text. I'm assuming it is me doing something wrong and thus will not give this cause not to "OK" for posting.

A thumbs up and approval from me.

Martin Burwash

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Burwash View Post
    ... I actually had to get a magnifying glass to suppliment my reading glasses in order to make out the text. I'm assuming it is me doing something wrong ...
    Sounds like you're not familiar with pdf files and viewers. Not surprising, they have all kinds of bells and whistles, and mine seems to update to a new version every time I load it.

The viewer comes with a built in magnifying glass. It's up at the top of the screen, and you can choose how much to zoom. Try setting it to 100%, and zoom in more if you need. What's really cool is the text is scalable, so that as you zoom in, the text stays crisp and clear, it doesn't get all jaggy.

Check out this screen shot at 400%, it can get even bigger if you want... Note the "400%" directly above the word "was", that's where you change the size, at least in this particular version.
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadPhotoEssays host

Jon,

I'm guessing you uploaded this in one page increments since the whole thing would be too large?
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadPhotoEssays host

I don't know, Bob. It shows up on Jon's post as 6 separate files in a box marked Attached Files. I click on each file and the page shows up. Unfortunately, by the time I get the text big enough to see, the photos are so big I can't really put text to picture. Again, problems more on my end and how I like to view things, and not enough not to approve this essay as is.

Martin Burwash

It's a good essay, and well presented. I like the narration and photo sequence, it gives a good feel for what you saw trackside.

I also like the photo with the retaining wall, it gives a hint of just how steep that hill is. It still doesn't give you the same feeling you get in person, when you wonder if there should be a rack rail in the center, or maybe a roller coaster chain lift. But that's something that just doesn't translate to film very easily.

I like the essay and the photos, so I'm going to vote for approval.

I don't really like having to open each page seperately, and I'd like to see it combined into one file, but that's a limitation of the forum software and/or pdf program, and I certainly won't penalize the essay for it. I like the fact that you used the features of pdf's, such as multi-colored backgrounds, to create a nice format.
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadPhotoEssays host

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Burwash View Post
    I don't know, Bob. It shows up on Jon's post as 6 separate files in a box marked Attached Files. I click on each file and the page shows up. Unfortunately, by the time I get the text big enough to see, the photos are so big I can't really put text to picture. Again, problems more on my end and how I like to view things, and not enough not to approve this essay as is.

Martin Burwash
    This essay is presented in a 11 x 17 format, as in two side by side magazine pages. It won't view well on your typical monitor. (If you have one of those $5,000 Apple Cinema Screens or whatever they call it, then it probably looks really good. For those of us who work for a living, and can't afford toys like that, the text is too small...)

He chose to format and present this one essentially ready for publication on a printed page. That means some compromises when viewed on screen, but that's related to how we're viewing it, and as you suggest it shouldn't mean we don't approve it.
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadPhotoEssays host

8. Default

After chatting with the engineer on this job on Sunday, I'm glad someone was there to capture it. Sounds like the whole thing was a bit of a mess.

Overall I like the piece as it documented a 'typical' day on the railroad. I particularly like the little map you added Jon, it gives those without understanding of the area a simple but effective overview.

Like on your previous essays, the layout is very nice and crisp and clean. I somewhat agree with Martin that the text size could be larger in relation to the photo size. I know Bob, you can use the + to make it bigger, but like Martin I want to read it like a magazine.

Photo wise, there are two photos on page 2 (A grain extra slips by on Main One and A 'Z' train rolls up Main Two) are washed out and lacking contrast. Honestly, I didn't feel like the Z train one really added much to overall presentation considering the quality of the others. Other than those issues, I thought the images did a nice job documenting the scene and the movements made.

I vote for approval, the only thing I think is something I'd for sure like fixed is the two washed out images on page 2. The other comments Jon, I'll let you decide how you want to deal with.

OK, that's 3 yes votes...
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadPhotoEssays host

10. Default

I'll take a look at those two images Steve. I'm not happy with what conversion to pdf does to the images. I will say this - I wasn't so concerned with the images on this one as the story. Frankly, I think most of the shots leave a lot to be desired. Thanks for the crit - We'll get this pdf 'thing' to work eventually.