Thread: Stampede Hell! Tamed

1. Default Stampede Hell! Tamed

I visited a place this summer that was once a more challenging feature than it is today.

I like your approach to this, Steve...taking a modern day look at places in years past that presented extreme challenges. I have always been a big fan of keeping at least a partial eye on the past when writing about and photographing the present. You do that quite well in this essay. No need to be any longer or clutter it up with more photos. You made your point.

I vote for approval as is.

Martin Burwash
    Last edited by Martin Burwash; 11-12-2006 at 04:10 AM.

What a funny little essay. The images themselves are somewhat unremarkable, and yet they illustrate the story perfectly. Just another train making it's way over the grade, a struggle, I am sure, but not the struggle of the past.

I think most railfans are interested in the past in one form or another, and the only way I could think to improve it would be to squeeze in a historic photo, but that wouldn't be needed to assure my approval.

that makes two...
    Chris Crook
    photojournalist

pictures and yap

A short, but good essay. The only comments I have to make are that I am not really a fan of notching out the corners of photos, as you did in the upper right of you main image, and that the shed (or whatever it is) that is left of the lead locomotive is a bit distracting, though not overly so.

I, too, vote for approval.
    Rob Scrimgeour
    Victoria, BC