Thread: Welcome to the Birmingham District, A Visit to Sloss Furnaces

Default Welcome to the Birmingham District, A Visit to Sloss Furnaces

deleted post
    Last edited by grande man; 05-01-2011 at 06:00 AM.

Boy Eric...this one is a tough one for me. I really, and I mean REALLY like your choice of subject matter. Now everyone on this list knows me and how I take my photos, so take this with a big grain of salt...BUT...this would really kill in black and white...al la David Plowden.

What I would like to see happen would be for you to edit this thing down at bit. Not so much the writing, as this is such a foreign subject, a certain amount of explanation and historical background is vital, but the photos. Give us a 10 or so of the most striking, convert them to black and white and I think you'll have an excellent look at a bygone era in American manufacturing and how the railroads supported it and it supported the railroads.

Play around with this one a bit more. I think I could be the most unique essay yet presented. Thanks for posting.

Martin Burwash

ahockley Guest

This is a great choice of subject matter, and I enjoyed the historical background at the beginning. As things moved into the photos however I felt less like I was reading an essay and more like I was just seeing a long list of captioned photos. I agree with Martin, the essay might be a little stronger by weeding out a few of the photos, and focusing the text to accent the highlights of the strongest ones.

It's a great start, right now I just think it's too many photos without enough strong "glue" holding them together in the form of words. I'd really love to see a "tighter", more cohesive version of this. If you want more specifics, let me know.

greenthumb Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Burwash
    Boy Eric...this one is a tough one for me. I really, and I mean REALLY like your choice of subject matter. Now everyone on this list knows me and how I take my photos, so take this with a big grain of salt...BUT...this would really kill in black and white...al la David Plowden.
    Martin Burwash
    Eric ~

I think Martin nailed this one. There are just too many images... You have a subject matter (and access) that many photographers (include me) that would love to fill a CF card or two with images similar to yours. Don't feel you need to show us everything, just show us the nuggets. Tease us a bit, but still inform us. From my perspective, I count 11 or 12 images that have a powerful visual impact that would be kicked up several notches in black and white.

~ jeff
    (feel free to PM me if you want to bounce any ideas around)

I agree with the other reviewers regarding too many photos for the text. The easiest option would be to prune some photos.

Another option would be to add more text, and break the essay up into a couple of chapters, say one on each location.
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadPhotoEssays host

Ok guys, I edited out some of the pics.

Please keep in mind though, that I'm just a local history nut that happens to have a camera along on on our industrial/railroad history forays. My goal is to tell others what I've learned about our local history in order to help keep it alive, and possibly spurn them on to an interest in the industrial/rail history of their area for the same reason.

I like the revised versions. Sure, it's got a lot of photos, but I'm OK with that. After all, it's a photo essay.

The text provides lots of info, and the photos give a good feel for the subject.

I vote for approval.
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadPhotoEssays host

8. Default

Very interesting topic. My only comment has to do with relating text to photos. There are a couple of typos and some of the narrative is hard to follow - probably the nature of the subject.

I vote yes.....

Sorry for my tardiness. I too like this revised version and vote yes.

Martin Burwash

Duplicate image for essay index page
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadPhotoEssays host