Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pride of the Fleet

1. Default Pride of the Fleet

A story about some unusual visitors to a branch line in 1989...

Steve's photo essay illustrates one very important, but very intangeable aspect of a photo essay....the personal factor. I love this essay simply because it harkens back my memories of going to WSU. You guys might be laughing here, but don't discount just such things when it comes to an essay.

Steve did what I didn't do...shoot some of the action over there. I was too busy partying and chasing a certain gal that 35 years later I'm still chasing. I never shot the BN and UP geeps that were rolling through Pullman on a daily basis. Steve, however, did it for me.

I think a lot of people live vicariously through our work. This fact should never be down played. I'm doing it with Steve's neat little essay right now.

A nice jog for some good memories, Steve...thanks for posting.

Martin Burwash

What a nice presentation. If I didn't know better I'd say Steve had scanned in a couple of pages from a magazine. Very nicely done, and very impessive.

Great story and photos too, I definitely vote for approval.
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadPhotoEssays host

paul@mwr Guest

Fun read and good photos illustrating your text. My favorite photo is the head on view at the switch stand. I haven't seen a shot like that of BN's GP50s and all that orange looks rather strange. Nicely done, Steve.

ahockley Guest

Very nice Steve. The text does a good job of summarizing the GP50, and your photos show the locomotive as it does its job. I like that you were able to work one shot with the locomotive and the campus in the background; it wouldn't be Pullman without WSU. I recommend approval.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Burwash
    ...it harkens back my memories of going to WSU. You guys might be laughing here, but don't discount just such things when it comes to an essay.

Steve did what I didn't do...shoot some of the action over there. I was too busy partying and chasing a certain gal that 35 years later I'm still chasing...
    Martin, first, thank you for the nice comments! I have more Pullman and Moscow photos that I'm intending to put into a presentation at some point.

Second, I'm surprised how similar our Cougar experiences were. I didn't shoot anything the first couple of years in Pullman, but thanks to my parents giving me the gift of a Canon AE-1 Program I was able to begin learning about photography while on the Palouse and capturing some of the late 80s action. By the way, I'm still chasing the girl I met as a freshman...20 years later.

Oh ya, most importantly...Go Cougs!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    What a nice presentation. If I didn't know better I'd say Steve had scanned in a couple of pages from a magazine. Very nicely done, and very impessive.
    Thanks Bob, that comment, it is very much appreciated considering how little I knew about producing something like this. When I started, I had the understanding I could throw the photographs and text all together in Photoshop Elements and come out with a completed image. I was wrong, PSE 3.0 doesn't do paragraphs. So I had to go about it another way and that is when I opened up MS Publisher. All comments about Microsoft aside, Publisher did the trick allowing me to combine things together just like I wanted to come out with a polished appearing product.

So, I have to admit the development of this was very much a learning experience for me.

Mike Guest

This is great work, Steve. Not only the text and layout, but the pictures are superb. They are as sharp and clear as something shot with a brand new professional grade DSLR. If not for the age of the subject matter, I would never have guessed that they were scans.

Quote Originally Posted by steveeshom
    ... that is when I opened up MS Publisher. All comments about Microsoft aside, Publisher did the trick allowing me to combine things together just like I wanted to come out with a polished appearing product.
    You did that in Publisher? Wow, nicely done. I use that program quite a lot, including for stuff like this, but yours looks very good.

So, how do you determine what size jpg it will output? I seem to recall it had a "save as jpg" option, but it was tough to set what size it output? (Or maybe I'm thinking of some other program...)
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadPhotoEssays host

lite1x Guest

Default BN oldies & MS Pub

This is a lovely piece of work, photos writing and layout all had me thinking I was reading Trains Magazine in the DPM days. My suggestions are more for your future experimentation and include making one photo on each page clearly dominant in size and content and others go smaller, depending again on content. You may want to have some photos overlap more than one column and flow text around it.

I'm not sure I have a vote, still a (BN) green newbie, but if I do, I'd vote for approval.