Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Typical Winter day in the Gorge

Quote Originally Posted by pmpete View Post
    Great analysis Dan, I agree the first shot was busy I was trying to tell the tale for the story.
    It does work well for that... It's great when all the photos in a day's shoot are fantastic, but at least for me, sometimes you're not so lucky. (See my SeattLosAngeles skunked by fog story as an example...)

However, there will be times when a certain photo doesn't work as well on it's own, but does work as a part of the whole story. I think this may be one of those cases.
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadPhotoEssays host

2. Default

I dunno, I think Paul could have told the story to set up the reader about the start of his day in the gorge without the photo. I'm kind of the school of showing your best (or at least what I think is my best). I just think starting off a story with a photo that doesn't work all that well photographically isn't the best way to make an initial first impression. Knock their socks off right out of the gate is my thinking.
    Dan Schwanz
    POSTCARDS FROM THE GORGE Website update 12.26.09
    http://w3.gorge.net/schwanz

Default A lot of endangered stuff in that shot.

Dan I agree with the need for an attention grabbing first shot.
    But I was looking at the shot again in light of the criticism and the historical value of the shot grabbed me, How much longer before the warbonnet gets sent to the dead line or the paint booth? Poles and wires are being replaced all over the place with solar panels and wireless links. Old tricolor signals are getting replaced with newer masts and LED signals.
    So maybe I might think about not using it in the essay but defiantly not send it off to the bit bucket.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pmpete View Post
    How much longer before the warbonnet gets sent to the dead line or the paint booth? Poles and wires are being replaced all over the place with solar panels and wireless links. Old tricolor signals are getting replaced with newer masts and LED signals.
    That's why I thought you'd used it. Poles are becoming a lot less common in the gorge, and so I figured you were using that one as a bit of history.
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadPhotoEssays host