Thread: Typical Winter day in the Gorge

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Typical Winter day in the Gorge

I finally have been able to get away for a day of shooting. I have been busier than usual with OT at work and College. Seeing a forecast for a sunny day and high 50s in the Columbia River Gorge I decided to go for it Friday.

Getting a late start due to night class the previous night and the need to stop for gas, food and java before fighting my way across Portland metro in late rush hour traffic. Getting to the Troutdale it was quite a change in the weather with a lot of overcast and freezing fog with an East wind. Figured it would get better.... Hey that siding and mainline the UP has from the Sandy river along I84 looks really nice, looks like the elves have been busy. Well shortly thereafter I found the elves, their toys more of which than I had ever seen in one spot on the UP. So many there were white UP buses hauling them around. I would surmise they were up to a blitz in the Gorge and the UP would be closed for business. Looks like a BNSF kind of day and the Hill lines were ready to deliver. An eastbound vehicle train was speeding its way on the other side of the river. I hit the Bridge of the Gods to cross the river at Cascade Locks and begin pursuit. Observing state and local speed restrictions I caught up with the swift car hauler I was able to engage the high ISO cloud countering functionality of my dated but trusty D70. To capture this shot of him getting ready to cross under Highway 14 west of Bingen.

Eavesdropping on the electronic audio communications with the dispatcher telling the vehicle train he would be staying in Bingen for 3 west bounds now departing Avery. Sweet, time to set up for some shots. First westbound was a coal train with a SD70ACe on the point that confused me in the distance sounding like a SD40-2 but looking very GEVO in the distance. Here is a sequence of the train on the curving fill that creates Rowland Lake afterbay east of Bingen. Noted going away shot of the soon to be repainted IMHO 14 year old SD70M on the trailing DPU position.

Deciding to jump east a shooting location or two I caught the next train in the westbound parade coming across the fill Lyle to the tunnels under the rest area under the Camberlain Lake rest area. Believe this train to be the PASVAW in is sequence.

Running down the hill to catch the next train on the bridge over the mouth of the Klickitat river. Seeing the level in the river was exceptionally low I ventured out onto the sand bar for a nice reverse angle shot. Unfortunately the well powered loaded grain train was swifter than I at getting into position so I had to settle for this over the shoulder of him on the fill through the reeds.

Not wanting to waste the hike down on the bar, that was very dry meaning the level of the water had been low for quite some time I set up for the resumption of the eastbound vehicle train's trip.

The next train I caught up with was a EVEBAR is suspect waiting for the bridge to the OT to come down. The dispatcher was giving him authority to the siding at Lockit, being too far away above Wishram to catch him at Moody I decided to give the Deschutes Canyon a shot. I proceeded across the rive on Highway 97 south to Grass Valley where you can access the canyon at Sherars. I was able to snag the slow moving train at three spots.

Wave good bye to the DPU's Kiddies.

Finding my way back to the Gorge and heading towards home the weather man totally missed it, and the sun shone all day on PDX but not on Paul's Gorge expedition. Last train of the the day is of the local scampering back east to Wishram at the reverse angle for the old publicity shot curve.

Final analysis of the day was I got skunked by the weather but came back with a series of shots that depict a more typical winter day in on the Columbia and Deschutes.
    Paul
    Last edited by Bob; 02-24-2009 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Cleaned up formatting - no content changes