Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doubling Heavies

paul@mwr Guest

Thumbs up

Martin, I see what you mean about those photos, but I'm not sure much can be done with the various limits of the software. If there is a way to improve the photos, it can always be done later. This one looks like it is ready to go.

paul@mwr Guest

Thumbs up

A very nice conclusion to the series and the quality we always see from you. I am glad that someone was able to document this so well as it may have been short lived.

3. Default

Another fine effort on Martin's part. Photos and words put together really make you feel that you were there, and I especially liked the indoor shots to tell the whole story.

But should it have taken six days for approval? Would it get more hits if it was in the index? Would other, older stories (mine included) get more hits if they were all in the index when this one was promoted?

Glen
    Glen Brewer
    Denver

Nice Martin,
    Very good story telling about a somewhat complicated operation. Loved the final planning and analysis photos. Cool twist.
    Paul

close to Lake Ontario in Burlington, ON Canada

Default More MRL

Martin has replied to me under a separate e-mail
    regarding the performance of the new MRL locomtives.
    I assume the BNSF motive power is run-through
    power with horsepower hours owed to BNSF after
    MRL uses their motive power.
    And the other thing that I just noticed is the height
    from which Martin's photos were taken.
    Somebody likes to climb! My question is,
    how accessible is the area from which the photographs
    were lensed?

And again, wonderful, wow, and the detail...

Bryce Lee

6. Default

Really interesting documentation of how moving a heavy train over 'the hill' or any 'hill' can get very complicated. Great photos as always and writing as well.
    Get Out There and Shoot!

You're right, Paul. It wasn't long after taking these photos they went back to a single "super set" of manned helpers mid-train with the DPU's on the rear.

In asnwer to your question, Bryce, that lofty vantage point is an easy walk down a cow trail that branches off the Contintental Divide Trail.

Martin Burwash

8. Default

Martin - in looking at the photos again, I can't figure out which way the tracks are going from your series of long shots. That's in addition to a lot of other things having nothing to do with railroads or your essay, that I can't figure out.
    Get Out There and Shoot!

I get what you are saying, Jon. There are a number of other shots in that series, but it was just too cumbersome to try an upload them all. In truth, what works the best is to veiw that series as a "slide show" and then you get more of an idea of the movement. Basically the trains are moving from the right of each photo towards the left as they climb the mountain.

Martin Burwash