Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this any way to run a railroad museum?

1. Default Is this any way to run a railroad museum?

CRRM

Is this any way to run a railroad museum?

Read this and other stories by Glen Brewer at

Railroad Glory Days

Last edited by gbrewer; 11-14-2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Added pictures
    Glen Brewer
    Denver

2. Default

Just rolled in from Montana. Will give this a close look tomorrow.

Maritn Burwash

greenthumb Guest

Default an enjoyable read...

Glen ~

Long, but interesting. Your text held me to the very end. The first hand account of your visit with Mr. Richardson as a youngster is a strong point of the essay. Any old photo from that visit, by chance. Even if it is not a "perfect photo", it would really add some depth to your submission. Maybe another photo from that time frame from the museum. This sounds like a pivotal moment or visit that got you hooked on trains for life.

Also, I would like to see the old conductor's hat, the 0500 caboose, and the interior of the business car. Any chance of adding those, and other photos to the mix ?? There is a long stretch without photos, a few additions would really take it to the next level. If the museum is cooperative, could you possibly use some photos from their archives ?? Adding some would balance it out... just a thought.

We have a lot to be thankful for to Mr. Richardson. Just think what would have been lost without his efforts... Glen, this is a fine piece that documents and shares the Colorado Railroad Museum with others.

As far as approval goes, I would like to see more photos... but I will give a preliminary thumbs-up with hopes that additional photos could be added if at all possible.

your mileage may vary...

~ jeff

Found a few minor typos or missing words:

(is this caption worded correctly? Is that the North Augua tank?)
    "Newly restored 346 at the recently built No Augua tank."

(this may be a direct quote from Richardson, but seems to be missing a few words)
    "Trip enjoyable and seeing #9 run again after all these years was a real treat. That was the first time had a ride in the 0500, tho spent a couple of nights in it when motel crowded, so took a nap on a bunk while they had a night photo session at Rockwood."

Two23 Guest

It's long, more like a magazine article. You kept it well organized and that's tough for something this long. While it went into a tad more detail than I needed, your goal of informing me about the museum was definitely met. You don't have many photos, but the ones you do are mostly strong ones. The 346 is a very pretty little engine and photos well! I'd like to see one or maybe two photos worked into that long stretch of text to help break it up. Really though, I can tell you put a lot of thought into this and it's good. Thumbs up.

Kent in SD

5. Default

Glen - nice article! This is a story of change at a facility that is very familiar to me. It's good to know that the museum is growing in a positive way and that the new leadership has a clear vision of the future. I'm glad that you included the story of the roots of the CRRM. The efforts of those early narrow gauge devotes and their dedication to the preservation of Colorado rail history is at the core of the museum. Nicely written and great photos. My only suggestion is that a photo of the new roundhouse would really round out the piece.

I vote to post.
    Get Out There and Shoot!

6. Default

A little late to the party, here. I echo the remarks of the others. A very interesting article that is well illustrated. I too would be intersted in seeing the new roundhouse, but it's not a deal breaker. You already have the necessary votes but I would vote to approve as is as well.

Martin Burwash

greenthumb Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Burwash View Post
    A little late to the party, here. I echo the remarks of the others. A very interesting article that is well illustrated. I too would be intersted in seeing the new roundhouse, but it's not a deal breaker. You already have the necessary votes but I would vote to approve as is as well.

Martin Burwash
    I sent off an email to Glen last night (and cc: several others) asking his intentions as to edits/additions before moving to the approved area.

~ jeff

8. Default

Jeff,

I reviewed my photos from my first visit with Bob back in 1956, but they were taken with a truly awful camera and by a very amateur photographer. It wasn't until a few years later that we got a decent twin lens reflex Yashica A, and I (sort of) learned how to use it.

I always wanted to add a good picture of Bob and one of the roundhouse. I spent quite a few hours going through the museum's picture file, wearing little white gloves, and the only picture I could find which added to the story is the one included. Nothing decent of Bob was found.

I may be able to get a roundhouse and a hat picture in the near future. But in the meantime, I have added several shots that I do have handy.

I also corrected a few spelling errors.
    That is No Agua tank, named for a place on the old D&RG Chili Line (Antonito to Santa Fe). This is the new, replacement tank for the one originally on the site and, no doubt originally named by Bob.

I suppose I could have added "[sic]" where Bob left out the pronoun "I", but that is the way he always seemed to write.

Anyway, let me know if the current additions are an improvement.

Glen
    Last edited by gbrewer; 09-26-2008 at 08:35 PM.
    Glen Brewer
    Denver

greenthumb Guest

Default Approved and Moved

With three votes for approval, and your additions, I see this as ready to go !!

Moved to the History and Preservation section.

I just got the "No Water Tank" title. Somehow, I was thinking "north"... go figure.

thanks for your submission Glen...

~ jeff

10. Default Important photo additon

When I wrote the above story, I thought of a photograph by Rod Jensen posted on the Narrow Gauge Discussion Group which I believed would add greatly to my story.

The photo shows Bob Richardson on his last tour of Colorado riding the back platform of his caboose, the 0500. The train is on the “High Line” of the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad with engine 473 leading the way.

Recently, I wrote to Rod, and he graciously agreed to lend his photo for my story adding the following commentary:

“As background to the photo I had an extra ticket aboard the #0500 for the D&S special run to Cascade during the NG convention in Durango on August 24, 2006. Bob was attending the convention and staying with Gordon Chappell and I thought Bob might like to ride his old caboose. After he accepted my invitation I called the Durango Herald and they sent a photographer and also the local TV station in Farmington did a piece on Bob.”

“The trip was one of the best I have ever been on and with Bob narrating the history of the line and his various stories of the NG it was a very special day that I will forever cherish.”

Thank you, Rod!

Glen Brewer
    Glen Brewer
    Denver