Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CR Gorge with SD14

Default CR Gorge with SD14

Howdy Friends,
    Its been a while, been kind of busy with going back to school, family and such. As some of you know I have been playing with a new type of camera this summer. I had yet to get out into my favorite backyard playground when the weather is nice this summer. Last Friday 29 August proved to be exceptionally good. I also had picked up a polarizer finally, my favorite filter. One that cannot be replicated in Photoshop.
    Weather was overcast in PDX but finally cleared out by Hood River. UP was basically closed for business this morning so I headed across the bridge at HR. There also was a nice stacker heading east into the beautiful morning sun. Got ahead of him and set up before the Chamberlain lake rest stop to get the train on the fill. Dispatcher had other plans to let the early Empire Builder scare the crap out of me for this grab shot, followed up with a better going away after I got my self back together.

Finally the stacker got back on a roll after Amtrak blew past him.

Racing ahead of this rather quick train I set up for another at Avery

Listening to the dispatcher talking to MOW, there was a westbound movement that need to leave Wishram before he could get Track and Time.
    All it was was the lone engine for the Local heading out to do a pick up seen here at North Dalles.

Now with the road going to MOW for the next two hours I decided to head further east in search of action. I caught back up with my stacker from earlier in the morning at Maryhill. Getting ahead as he went in the hole at Towal. Signal crew was working east of Roosevelt so it was time to wait again. But not for long and this trash train came screaming up with big GE power on instead of the usual geriatric EMDs that handle these trains.

One last side shot for the day of this over shot train with head on light.

Assessing the situation I decided it was high time to try the other side of the river and grab some lunch in Biggs. Hearing the DS telling work crews at Moody on the Oregon Trunk that they will need to clear for a train. Never having shot Celilo from above I ventured up the hill to check out the view. I spotted the EVEBAR in the siding, figured he was on deck. Sorry but 2 hours of waiting and he was still sitting. Here he is getting passed by an empty grainer.

Meanwhile another another loaded trash train arrives with the more typical power and meets a westbound loaded grain train in the yard at Wishram.

Getting to be later in the afternoon I decided to give chase to the grain train west towards home. I need to get back for a football game of my son's.
    I was able to get ahead of this guy and cross just ahead of him at The Dalles Dam.

Next shot is taken just east of Doug's Beach coming between the rocks.

Then it is off to the west for another shot on the long afterbay fill.

Here is another favorite afternoon shot on the curve east of Stevenson.

Last shot of the day coming off the fill west of Stevenson at the Bridge of the Gods.

That was it hope you enjoyed my stories and pictures. The other shot not shown are on my Smugmug site linked below.
    I finished off the day crossing to Cascade Locks for an ice cream cone and a sprint home on I84. Century Jaguars Beat Newberg 42-6, Andrew the back up varsity QB got to go in in the 4th. Big fun for a Sophomore.
    Final technical note. For those who care, I shot these with a Sigma SD14 an processed X3F files with Lightroom 2.
    This will most likely be my last outing until Autumn Leaf. The sacrifices we make to better ourselves.
    Paul

Nicely done, I vote for approval...

The images are well done, nicely composed and the colors look great. The text does a nice job of telling the story.

To be honest, essays like this were actually the original intent of this forum. I realize that not everyone can write 5000 words of text to go with their essay, and that's not a requirement. Simply telling the story meets my idea of "photo essay" i.e. basically "photos with informative captions that together tell a story"

Nicely done, and great example of how to make a trip report into an essay.
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadPhotoEssays host

Fun stuff...looks like a great outing. The photos a text give a feel for what it's like to railfan on a "typical" day. Very much a feel for the "hunt" for trains thanks to MOW windows.

I vote for approval.

Martin Burwash

4. Default

Nice trip report / essay - the SD14 does a nice job. Good color saturation - but most of the photos are under exposed. A little curves adjustment should fix that - more detail in the shadows. As Bob mentioned - nice compositions.

I vote for approval.
    Get Out There and Shoot!

Very nice composition, Jon may be correct, just slightly dark, but could also be my monitor, been fighting calibration since I got new monitor. Another vote to approve.

Thanks, Gents,
    Interesting observation on the photos set ups I may need to check my calibration. Histogram seems ok to me.
    Paul

I was using a polarizer on a lot of shots so I may need to dial up a little positive exposure compensation on the camera. Light meters seem to not take them into account on DSLRs. My D70 seems to react the same way.
    Pulling them back in post helps but its just not the same.
    Paul

close to Lake Ontario in Burlington, ON Canada

Default Yikes!

The difference between a 15" laptop and a 24 inch
    large monitor has been shown!

The images literally jump off the screen!

Absolutely amazing!

I vote for approval. Whatever he did to improve his photography
    has been done.

Bryce Lee

Thanks, Bryce
    You may be seeing what is often referred to as the 3D effect of the images from the X3 sensor. This "Presence" of the images is why I chose to mess with this camera. My wife can see the difference so its been well accepted on the home front. BTW the lens I am using is pretty low end on the performance spectrum. It really loves primes and EX level lenses.
    Prints look really show it off too.
    Paul

Two23 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pmpete View Post
    I was using a polarizer on a lot of shots so I may need to dial up a little positive exposure compensation on the camera. Light meters seem to not take them into account on DSLRs.

You don't need exposure comp to use a polarizer. It's all handled by the TTL. If you were metering using a handheld incident light meter (as you do for large format,) then you would need to add 1.5 stops of light. The images are perfect on my monitor, but images that look perfect on mine sometimes look dark on others.

I too use a polarizer for most daytime shots. As you see, they pull out very saturated colors and prevent water from just being a large area of glare. On the first shot, the Amtrak, I personally think you were a bit too close to that one. You were on the gravel. I generally try to give them 20 feet, more if on an outside curve or near a grade crossing in winter. I have seen rail cars come of the rail twice, and believe me you don't want to be near them when they do.

The Sigma camera is often overlooked. Not because of its performance, but rather because it's captive to Sigma mount lenses. Sigma has been putting out more and more first class lenses though, to the point that's no longer a handicap by any means.

Some of the images had a bit too much empty space. I'm thinking especially of the vertical one right above "Meanwhile another loaded trash train..." All in all you have a nice collection of some very strong images.

Kent in SD