Thread: Boxcab Daze

1. Default Boxcab Daze

Attachment 3306

Battle Weary Soldiers

When locomotive 10217A emerged from General Electric’s shops in Erie, Pennsylvania, men from the United States were preparing to march through the streets of their hometowns, bound for Europe to fight “Kaiser Bill”. The world hoped it would be “the war to end all wars”. The year was 1916. Over the next year, as the bloody stalemate continued in the trenches of France and “no man’s land”, additional sets of G.E. box cab electrics were built and delivered to the then Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul, or simply, the Milwaukee Road. Among them were 10109A, the 10102A, and 10209A.

Attachment 3307

As soldiers went east to the battle fronts “over there” the GE Box Cabs headed west to the theaters of the Rocky Mountains and Cascades. Grinding through the wind and snow of winter, humidity and heat of summer, these electric motors lugged across the divides of the west the supplies that supported the men suffering in the muddy trenches to the east, across the Atlantic. At times the men themselves were carried off to battle with power provided by “white coal”.

Attachment 3308Attachment 3309Attachment 3310

When the soldiers returned home in 1919, victorious, their tour of duty fulfilled, the box cabs had hardly begun theirs. Sadly, the lessons learned from that vicious war did not prevent yet another global conflict. Even with a quarter of a century of service behind them and suffering from the constraints of two bankruptcy’s the electric units of the Milwaukee once again found themselves joining in a new battle, transporting yet another generation of men off to another world war. Renumbered and reconfigured, the battle tested units faithfully answered the call and carried the men and machines needed to meet and defeat enemies on two fronts separated by the North American continent.

Attachment 3311

Despite having fought yet another war, this time in Korea, to an uneasy political resolution a third generation of men found themselves being taken to the killing fields. This time in a country called Viet Nam. Still the motors of the Milwaukee rolled on. Weary from the strain of constant warfare with the mountains of the west, they were now being helped with their chores by the legions of new diesel/electrics. Over sixty years of frontline service had diminished their ranks. Of a battalion that once boasted 90 units, by 1971, less than 20 remained. Combined in odd matchings to make up for those gone, motors 10109A, 10102A and 10209A eventually became the E 39 A,C, and D. Completing the four unit set was the former 10217A, now sporting E 47A on her number board. Still, whenever the pantographs of these survivors were raised and the controllers notched out, the motors knew that duty had again called and they responded just as they did 60 years prior.

Attachment 3305

Two generations had gone to war and returned battle hardened when the E 47A posed for her photograph, basking in the warm September sun at Tideflats Yard in 1970. A third generation was enduring the same horrors as the previous two when six months later, these motors made their way westward through the snows of a familiar battlefield, the line over Snoqualmie Pass. Dressed in their fatigues, carrying no metals honoring their heroics, possessing no citations for their devotion to service, the weary soldiers simply carried out their duties.

Attachment 3312

After sixty six years, three generations, two world wars and two “policing actions”, peace finally came to the 10109A, to the 10102A, to the 10209A and the 10217A. The longest day on the western front, the Coast electrification, came in November of 1972. On that day rest came for the class of locomotive known to the Milwaukee Road as the EF-5’s, having been finally relieved of their command. It came nearly 63 years to the day that marked the end of the “war to end all wars”, the day we now know as Veteran’s Day.

Attachment 3313

Weary soldiers, veterans all too familiar with warfare, they are gone now. Their fields of honor have been long removed from the landscape, defiled to the point of becoming simple hiking trails. Yet just as the ghosts of the soldiers who gave to their last measure linger above the soil of distant lands, their exploits becoming a part of our history, so too remain the spirits of the warriors of the Milwaukee Road. Caught up in the wind that sweeps across the irrigated fields of Othello and the Royal Slope, the souls of the box cabs are carried across the Columbia River and across the barren sage brush of the Saddle Mountains. Lifted high into the clouds that shroud the Cascades they pass over towns with names like Cle Elum, Hyak and Cedar Falls. They finish their journey along the protected waters of Puget Sound only to make a crisp about face and return. They are sentries, forever keeping their watch over the land they served. They are battle weary soldiers destined never to die.
    Last edited by Martin Burwash; 04-25-2008 at 05:59 AM.

2. Default

Time to get back to the REAL business of this site.

Martin Burwash

3. Default Excellent!

Excellent images and narative of a very interesting subject, very easy to recommend approval on this one!!! Good job!

close to Lake Ontario in Burlington, ON Canada

Default Martin is back!

Electric propulsion
    for freight and passenger delivered by
    wire or 3rd rail gets my heart going
    pitty-pat. Perhaps the white coal aspect
    or whatever, electricity is the best.

Suspect Martin is feeling as are many of us
    unhappiness that these locomotive which have
    carried soldiers to the shores to be sent to foreign
    lands are they themselves veteran ujjsoldiers as well.

Soldiers that have survived time and numerous
    battles. And when Veteran's Day arrives we should
    remember not only those soldiers of our own
    who fought and didn't return, we should turn
    our thoughts towards those electrically powered
    soldiers that did their duty until they too died,
    not of themselves, rather by an external force,
    turned off forever.

I vote for this essay as well, with a thought
    that maybe it should be published again on the list
    on November 11 each year.

Bryce Lee
    Burlington, Ontario

PS: Glad to see Martin is back in his groove!

5. Default

I vote to post as well.

I like the concept behind this piece and think that it works well. My only comment is that it would be nice to have some captions for the photos to provide a little 'what, when, where' to the mix.

Back to business, indeed!
    Get Out There and Shoot!

6. Default

A certain rail magazine and its "Classic"- spin-off rejected this piece with the reason given it did not represent something their readers would be interested in. I suspect it was more the tone of the prose than the photos that had those folks slamming on the brakes.....

Martin Burwash

Two23 Guest

An amazing collection of photos. I was not aware that these were still running in 1970. In addition to the message of the essay, what I take away is the point that what we take for granted as everyday stuff that we see all the time is in reality temporary. Best photo it now! Martin, you might watch on eBay to see if any postcards come up that have MILW troop trains. I bet there are some out there. I would have thought the magazine would have gone for it--it's a great collection and I liked the writing. A thumbs up, of course.

Kent in SD

8. Default

Martin,

Wonderful story, great pictures and I heartily agree with your comment, "Time to get back to the REAL business of this site."

Glen
    Glen Brewer
    Denver

Bruce Butler Guest

On July 5, 1972 I was a passenger on Amtrak #7. This was the time period when they were running over Stampede pass during daylight hours. Imagine my excitement and surprise when we passed the E39/E47 set between Cle Elum and Easton! They were on a work train which had been working inside of the MILW Snoqualamie pass tunnel. I had my wife meet me with the car and cameras at Tacoma and immediately drove back over the pass to get this picture at Cle Elum as the work train tied up for the day.

http://www.railroadforums.com/photos...ler_72-287.jpg