Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In search of the eponymous Brewer, Illinois

1. Default In search of the eponymous Brewer, Illinois

Brewer, Illinois

In search of the eponymous Brewer, Illinois

Read this and other stories by Glen Brewer at

Railroad Glory Days

Last edited by gbrewer; 11-14-2010 at 07:41 PM.
    Glen Brewer
    Denver

2. Default

An interesting little essay. There are a couple of typos and minor grammar things - nothing serious. I like these kind vignettes. The photos are well chosen - one suggestion is to place the one with the faded station name at the end. Also, the narrative sort of trails off - could you flesh out the last paragraph a little bit?

Nice piece. I vote to post after a little fiddling.

3. Default

Jon,

I have given your suggestions a try. I hope it is a little better.

There have been 46 accesses to this story (how many review panel members are there anyway?), and four days have passed since it was posted. Is anyone else interested at all?
    Last edited by gbrewer; 12-22-2007 at 03:11 PM.
    Glen Brewer
    Denver

4. Default

Everyone is at the mall.......

I vote to post - nice job!

5. Default

Apologies for my tardiness. We decided to shut the mill down both Monday and Tuesday, so that had us scrambling this past week as well as an early shift this morning. Now I remember why I quit milking cows!

Anyways, Glen's essay. The revisions work well. I love the detail shots. It is a good technique to show the overall to give the reader a sense of the whole place, and then zero in on some of the details to compliment the mood of the text.

Good stuff and Merry Christmas to all.

I vote to post.

Martin Burwash

Quote Originally Posted by gbrewer View Post
    There have been 46 accesses to this story (how many review panel members are there anyway?), and four days have passed since it was posted. Is anyone else interested at all?
    The story never got moved out of the public area, so the general members can still view it.

As for anyone being interested, well, it looks like about 40 people were.

Meanwhile, the reviewers are apparently busy at the mall, or shutting down the feed mill, or running Santa trains or...
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadPhotoEssays host

7. Default

Really? I thought the submission area was never open to public viewing. I have never been able to read anyone else's story there. It is even marked as, "private".

Here is what it says: " Submit HTML Essays Here (4 Viewing)
    Submit your HTML based photo essays here! Only staff members and the person posting essays can view discussions in this topic."

The commercial site, where the photos are located, is currently down. I hope they will have it fixed before the holidays are over! Sorry for any inconvenience.

Glen
    Last edited by gbrewer; 12-23-2007 at 02:54 AM.
    Glen Brewer
    Denver

> I thought the submission area was never open to public viewing.

There are two areas, one where the essays are submitted (here) and then a second, private forum that the essays are supposed to be moved to while they're being reviewed. That allows for some privacy, and if, for whatever reason, an essay is rejected, only the person submitting it and the reviewers would know that. (It is not our intent to have any rejections be public)

> I have never been able to read anyone else's story there.
    > It is even marked as, "private".

I think that's the other topic?

> Here is what it says: " Submit HTML Essays Here (4 Viewing)

Yes, and only 3 people are logged in as I read that. SO... Even if every single reviewer was reading this, we still have an extra person looking at it.

> Submit your HTML based photo essays here! Only staff members
    > and the person posting essays can view discussions in this topic."

Wonder what fool wrote that? Oh, wait, I did... Apparently that was my intent, but it doesn't work that way at the moment. I'll add it to my "to-do" lists.

> The commercial site, where the photos are located, is currently down.

OH, that's why this topic is loading so slow and no images are showing. Glad it's on the other end, not here.
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadPhotoEssays host

9. Default

Bob,

The pictures should load now.

I like the original concept ("Submit your HTML based photo essays here! Only staff members and the person posting essays can view discussions in this topic.") better.

Is it really desirable to cut the submitter off from seeing what is going on while the review panel talk about it? Especially when it takes so long for a story to reach three reviews?

Glen
    Glen Brewer
    Denver

10. Default

> Is it really desirable to cut the submitter off from seeing what
    > is going on while the review panel talk about it? Especially when
    > it takes so long for a story to reach three reviews?

My thought there was to give the review staff a bit of privacy to make comments and discuss things. For example, I recall one essay where I was originally not in favor of it, since it had very brief captions. After a bit of discussion, we all agreed that was OK.

There wsa no real reason for the author to see my original negative comments, though I guess it would be all right if they had. Let's talk this one over a bit...
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadPhotoEssays host