Thread: Iron horses put out to pasture

1. Default Iron horses put out to pasture

Iron horses

Iron horses put out to pasture

Read this and other stories by Glen Brewer at

Railroad Glory Days

Last edited by gbrewer; 11-14-2010 at 07:42 PM.
    Glen Brewer
    Denver

greenthumb Guest

Default Stamp of Approval

I just enjoyed the essay. I like the mix of photographic perspectives and the pleasing and easy to follow story telling. I like the bit about the engineer chasing down the patrons and doling out a refund. The image with the Camden station building and the Long Island combination car is my pick of the lot.

The placement of captions was confusing in a few places, but I was able to overcome that rather easily. That may be more of me and my over-caffinated brain today, and not the essay format... ??

As one who is relatively new to RR operations and the like, I am not familiar with the names mentioned in the essay. The location of the state of Texas was only mentioned once... just an observation, not that changes or edits are required for approval.

I vote for approval as presented here... thanks for sharing Glen.

~ jeff
    Last edited by greenthumb; 11-22-2007 at 09:15 PM.

3. Default

Very nice piece. I flows well and is reminicent of the Morgan/Hastings 'hunts' for steam in the late 50's. My only comment is that the essay seems to end a bit abruptly - but overall it's a fine effort.

I vote to post.

The Morgan/Hastings observation made by Jon is dead-on. I was trying to figure out where I've seen work like this before, and that was where. I like the way we see the engines in service, the dead-lines and then in the weeds. Just kind of a natural progression. A good text, the Beebe reference is a nice touch.

I vote to post as is.

I can't wait to see Glen's next offering from his treasure chest.

Martin Burwash

5. Default

Thanks to all who responded.

I hope this eventually gets moved to "photo essays" instead of "Photo gallery".

As for the Morgan/Hastings reference, I certainly read those stories when they were first printed, but I really don't remember them.

Jeff, I thought that picture was special too. When Railroadforums.com did a photo contest on rr structures (April 2007), I submitted it thinking I had a winner. It got one vote besides my own.

I have a question for those who process old photos for the web. The ones in the story were all scanned directly from negatives. In most cases I thought the negative had more to offer than the poor prints I have. I thought the results for 120 film were pretty acceptable, but the scans from 35mm negatives were less so. Am I pushing the limits of my old Acer flatbed scanner with transparency option too far? Did I fail to use all the option in CS2? Any suggestions?

Glen
    Last edited by gbrewer; 11-23-2007 at 04:17 PM.
    Glen Brewer
    Denver

Two23 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gbrewer View Post
    I have a question for those who process old photos for the web. The ones in the story were all scanned directly from negatives. In most cases I thought the negative had more to offer than the poor prints I have. I thought the results for 120 film were pretty acceptable, but the scans from 35mm negatives were less so. Am I pushing the limits of my old Acer flatbed scanner with transparency option too far? Did I fail to use all the option in CS2? Any suggestions?

Mostly I think you were having trouble with contrast and exposure control. The scans either lacked a little pop or suffered from contrast. While 120 negs do hold more detail, the exposure part should be the same since the film emulsions were likely the same. It takes some tinkering and fine tuning.
    All in all I loved the shots anyway. I would have gone nuts in there and could have taken photos all day if left alone! THe closest I've ever come was being allowed to wander in the collection of steamers and equipment in the RR museum/line south of Las Vegas, along the way to Hoover Dam. They had some great stuff being stored there too and I got some shots. These kinds of stories and photos fascinate me.

Kent in SD

Duplicate image for blog promo
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadPhotoEssays host