Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Onions, Scum, and the Dumping Ground

abcraghead Guest

Default Onions, Scum, and the Dumping Ground

A photo essay on the railroad landscape of Walla Walla, Washington.

Attachment 2872

Attachment 2873

Attachment 2874

Attachment 2875

Attachment 2876
    Last edited by Bob; 08-31-2007 at 06:29 PM.

2. Default

Nice piece of work Alexander. The PCC/BLMR is off in its own corner of the state and few pay attention to it. Like many I've driven by dozens of times, concentrating on my passage to and from the Mother-in-Law's place, instead of stopping and photographing. All that to say I like the subject!

I'm glad you captured the windmill 'growth' on the hills west/south of Walla Walla. That last photo really captures for me what the branch has become with the contrast of under maintained track and modern power generation (for the 'westsiders'). While I liked all the photos that one was my favorite.

I'll stop blathering and say that this essay is ready for promotion as is!

There's a lot to like about this essay. The title alone is a great hook making me want to read and find out what this is all about. I like the inclusion of local history and color, not just here's train XYZ passing Mile Post 13.345, two miles west of BF.

ABC's black and whites are very good. I also really like the fact he was not deterred by the cloudy weather. To my way of thinking it enhances the feel of the story, more so than if shot if "perfect" light.

Good work, I say "Yes".

Martin Burwash

I really like the essay. My only nits would be about your gradients, they start to interfere with the subject a little bit at times. But it is a small detail, and certainly wouldn't prevent me from saying 'hell yes' to this essay.

Well written and photographed. Good stuff, AC.
    Chris Crook
    photojournalist

pictures and yap

That's 3, so I'm shipping this one...

It's a nice essay on an interesting and not well documented operation. The photos are nice, and I too like your choice of using black and white, it sets the mood quite nicely.

It's interesting how you've set the photos and text up as an article, I like the presentation.
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadPhotoEssays host

ccaranna Guest

I really like it, but am I correct in observing that there are two page 2s?

I was a little confused on the order of the plates which was a touch frustrating. Is there a way to display the essay so that it's clear what the order is?

Quote Originally Posted by ccaranna View Post
    Is there a way to display the essay so that it's clear what the order is?
    I've re-arranged it a bit, try it now...
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadPhotoEssays host

abcraghead Guest

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

As for two page twos, are there? I did slip up at one point and had that, but I thought I'd fixed it.

My eyes caught a few erroneous spaces here and there too. Why do I always see these things later?

The format was last minute. Heck the whole thing was. I was going to post one of the pics in the photo section, then I thought, hey, I have five decent ones with a similar theme, why not do them all? Well in that case, why not write some extended captions with context? Well, gee, there's an awful lot of blank space on them, and they're already pretty large images, I could just put the text *on* the images....

This was followed by the sound of me opening a notepad, flipping through the pictures, and writing what came to mind about each of them. Steve, interesting what you said about the last image. It is my favorite too, and in many ways inspired the theme of the text for all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by abcraghead View Post
    Heck the whole thing was. I was going to post one of the pics in the photo section, then I thought, hey, I have five decent ones with a similar theme, why not do them all? Well in that case, why not write some extended captions with context?...
    Thanks for doing it that way, I'm glad you did. It came out quite nicely.

Folks, please keep in mind that we're not overly strict about this whole "essay" thing. There's a lot of latitude in what constitutes an essay, and one photo and a detailed caption could well get a "yes" vote from me. While the big essays are nice, you can start out small and fairly brief.

Thanks to the folks who recently submitted essays, and I encourage the rest of you to give it a shot.
    Bob Harbison
    RailroadPhotoEssays host

abcraghead Guest

On a side note along what Bob said, there's maybe 100 words per page on mine, but honestly, that was a squeeze. In all except pages two and three, it was tough to fit it in and I had to edit down. A short couple of paragraphs per images is probably conservative enough of an estimate.

For those who are writers, its tough to get in all we want to say in such constraints. For those who are not, my advice would be to consider it as an opportunity to extend your captions to include more than just date, location, and etc.... no nasty editor to clip down your wordy caption!